Image by Myshun from Pixabay

Christmas is the time for food! But as we know, holiday food can be delicious for us and dangerous for our pets. Please remember these food guidelines to keep your pet safe and out of the vet clinic for the holidays.

Chocolate

Chocolate is bad for cats and dogs. It is not just bad, it can kill your dog. I know that sounds very extreme but it is true. Dogs are essentially “allergic” to chocolate. Depending on the size of your dog, and the kind of chocolate, it may not take much to make them seriously ill. Though cat’s don’t have the same severity of issue with chocolate that dogs do, it does still make them sick. OH! Hot chocolate is included in this “do not feed” list….just in case you thought there may be an exception.

Keep your chocolate out of reach of your pets, like in a cabinet. Sometime counter tops are not out of reach enough, especially if you have cats that like to get on tables or counter tops. A big culprit of sneaking chocolate to pets is kids. They just think you are trying to keep it away from your pets, just like all food. Many times they don’t realize that it can be deadly. It is a good idea is to explain to your kids why chocolate is bad for you pets so they don’t sneak them any sweet treats. Just because they are bad for your pets doesn’t mean that they wont beg for it, so stay strong and keep the chocolate for the humans.

Table Scraps

A lot of us feed our pets table scraps throughout the year, so you might ask why you can’t give them table scraps now. But Christmas table scraps are different from normal food because of the different ingredients in the holiday feast. Many of the spices used in traditional holiday food is toxic for your pet and can cause some pretty serious reactions, onions and Turkey bones not being the only danger.

Instead of table scraps, give them some healthy treats while you are cooking such as:

  • Raw Carrots
  • Raw or cooked pumpkin
  • Raw broccoli
  • Peanut Butter

If you are worried that your dog has gotten sick from eating anything, call your vet immediately.