Now that Halloween is over, don’t throw away your jack-o-lantern, give it to your dog as a yummy and healthy treat. Pumpkin is a fantastic food for your dog, it is really good for them, and they love it! It is not just humans that are into pumpkin spice season, your dogs love it too.
- Great laxative: If your dog is a bit stopped up, some pumpkin in their food will get things moving. It is a great source of fiber. It can actually help fight constipation and block up diarrhea.
- Urinary health: Pumpkin is high in antioxidants and is believed to be be great for their coat and their urinary health.
- Cancer reduction: The betacarotene, potassium and iron can even reduce the likelihood of getting cancer.
- Weight Loss: If your pet is overweight, pumpkin is a great addition to their food. Remove some of their regular food and replace it with pumpkin. It will act as a filler, so they will feel full, but doesn’t have all the calories and fat.
- Great for birds: Of course they will love the seeds but you can also hang chunks of pumpkin in your birds cage and they will love you. It is chalk full of excellent vitamins and minerals, and it is fun for them to eat.
Feeding pumpkin is a great idea but make sure you do it right or you could make your pet sick. Do not feed them your jack-o-lantern if it has been cut for more than a couple of days. Once they are cut open, they will mold really quickly and that mold can make them sick.
We suggest following a dog food recipe that uses pumpkin.
If you are unsure if you pet can eat pumpkin, call your vet to ask.