Now that Halloween is over, don’t throw away your jack-o-lantern, give it to your pet as a yummy and healthy treat.
Pumpkins offer great health benefits to your pets.
- Great laxative: If your cat or dog is a bit stopped up, some pumpkin in their food will get things moving. It is a great source of fiber. It can actually help fight constipation and block up diarrhea.
- Urinary health: Pumpkin is high in antioxidants and is believed to be be great for their coat and their urinary health.
- Cancer reduction: The betacarotene, potassium and iron can even reduce the likelihood of getting cancer.
- Weight Loss: If your pet is overweight, pumpkin is a great addition to their food. Remove some of their regular food and replace it with pumpkin. It will act as a filler, so they will feel full, but doesn’t have all the calories and fat.
- Great for birds: Of course they will love the seeds but you can also hang chunks of pumpkin in your birds cage and they will love you. It is chalk full of excellent vitamins and minerals, and it is fun for them to eat.
Some other animals that can eat pumpkin are:
- Omnivorous lizards like Bearded Dragons
If you are unsure if you pet can eat pumpkin, call your vet to ask.