Help my pet ate poison!
If your pet has ingested poison, you need to act fast. The first thing you should do is call your vet and/or call the Animal Poison Helpline (855-764-7661). Another great way to be prepared is to have a poison emergency kit.
You kit will want to have all your pets health information and contact information.
- Veterinarian name and number
- Microchip ID
- Vaccination Records
- Normal health values: respiration rate, heart rate, rectal temperature
Much of the health information you can get from your vet during their annual checkup.
- Artificial tears, ophthalmic saline solution and sterile saline solution
- Alcohol wipes
- Benadryl® 25 mg tablets or liquid 12.5 mg/tsp (5mL) concentration (with NO other combination ingredients) – in case of allergic reaction
- Hydrogen peroxide 3% for inducing vomiting in dogs. Do not give to cats or brachycephalic dogs.
- Liquid hand dish washing detergent (e.g., Dawn) without a bleach additive – this is to wash away any sticky chemical substance
- Oral dosing syringe, bulb syringe or turkey baster (for administering hydrogen peroxide or medication)
- Penlight or flashlight
- Rectal thermometer and lubricant
- Rubber gloves and/or Latex-free exam gloves
- Tablespoon/teaspoon set (to calculate the appropriate amount of hydrogen peroxide to give)
- Vegetable oil to assist in removal of sticky substances (alternative to dish soap).
Before you try any treatments at home, make sure you speak with your vet or a poison control specialist. They may tell you to induce vomiting at home, or to bring your pet to an emergency clinic. Never give your pet human medication without specific guidance from your veterinarian. Different poisons interact with the body differently. They type of poison can affect the course of treatment.
Do not use home remedies for treating poison. A wrong treatment can risk your pets life. Call your vet. Call the Animal Poison Helpline. Talk to a specialist and it can save a life.