The weather is cooling down and fall is coming! While we get our evaporative coolers shut down and are gardens winterized, make sure to take some fall pet safety precautions.
There are more rats and mice in the fall as they try to seek shelter. You may be laying out mice traps or rodenticides. These are toxic and dangerous for your pets. Make sure you put them in places that are not accessible to your pets. If you think your pet ingested rodenticide, call your vet immediately!
This is a great time of year to change our your car’s coolant. But did you know that coolant smells sweet and pets like to drink it. Engine coolant can kill your pet. There glycol-based coolants that are less toxic than the ethylene glycol coolants, but both are dangerous. If you have any coolant spills, clean them up immediately and don’t leave any open coolant out for your pet to drink. If you think your pet ingested coolant, call your vet immediately.
Mushrooms grow in the fall
Though New Mexico is a dry place we still grow mushrooms. Most mushrooms have little to no toxicity, some still do. The ones that do can be highly toxic and cause life-threatening problems in your pets. If you have mushrooms growing in your yard, put on some gloves and pick them. If you encounter mushrooms on hikes, do not let your pet eat them. Contact your veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435 immediately if you witness your pet eating a wild mushroom.
Rattlesnakes and others
It is a great time for hiking! Snakes are also preparing for hibernation, this can make them more aggressive when they have been discovered. Make sure you get the rattlesnake vaccine to keep your dog protected and try to keep them from sticking their noses in holes or under rocks where snakes may be trying to sleep.