Molds are one of the most ubiquitous organisms in the world. In fact, molds along with other members of the fungal family, constitute about 25 percent of the biomass on earth. They are found extensively in buildings across the United States. They enter your home through open windows and vents, and settle in the warm and moist areas such as bathrooms and kitchens. The ideal conditions promote rapid multiplication of the fungal cells. Molds produce spores and toxins known as mycotoxins.
Most homeowners are aware of the detrimental impact of mold spores and toxins on their health and well-being. Parents with young children also take steps to protect their little ones from mold spores. But what about your pets? Remember that they are not immune to molds. They are at risk as well.
Any of these Sound Familiar?
Although your pet cannot express itself in words, it may exhibit several symptoms related to the mold infestation such as:
Chewing its own feet and skin
Do these symptoms sound familiar? If yes, your pet may be suffering due to the mold spores and toxins in your home.
Mold can Harm Your Pet
Veterinarians have always believed that molds can impact pets just the way they impact humans. However, they did not have any documented evidence to prove their suspicion. That has changed now. A recent press release by the American Veterinary Medical Association has confirmed the hazardous effect of mold on your pet’s health. The conclusion was based on the findings of Florida-based veterinary specialist Douglas Mader. He was performing a dental procedure on two cats when he noticed frothy blood in their anesthesia tubes. He discontinued the procedure immediately but the two animals died within the next two days. The blood samples of the cats indicated the presence of toxic black mold in their lung capillaries. Both the animals died of pulmonary hemorrhage. Upon further investigation, toxic black mold was found in the walls of the home where the cats lived. Although the animals did not show any external symptoms, the fungus was causing significant internal damage.
The health risks associated with black molds can vary significantly. Some pets may suffer from mild respiratory illness, while others may experience severe lung trauma. The mold may weaken the capillaries of the lungs. The weak capillaries may not tolerate even moderate amounts of stress. They may burst and bleed.
The condition may also lead to serious complications. Your veterinarian may notice bloody respiratory discharge during anesthetic procedures. The procedure should be discontinued immediately under such circumstances.
How To Protect Your Pet?
Contact your veterinarian immediately, especially when you notice excessive itching, biting, chewing, fatigue or depression. If you are aware of mold infestation in your home and have family members suffering from mold-related symptoms, it may be a good idea to take your pet to the veterinarian. He can check the animal to make sure there is no latent or underlying infection.
The veterinarian may prescribe corticosteroids to stabilize the capillaries. He may also recommend antibiotics to prevent secondary bacterial infection. You should also take steps to remove the mold from your home. Seek professional help if required. You may also consider moving to another house until the mold problem is cleared in your existing one
Ben Sawyer and his wife were subtenants in NYC appartment full of mold. They had to move out because mold grew big and their appartment became unsafe environment. Their pets also had halth issues because of the mold. Ben asked moldbusters.com for advice, and got these tips he is now sharing with you.