My dog went down to the lake to play with my kids. When they came back his fur was covered in some strange sticky stuff. I think it may be sap. He is a shorthair Mastiff. How can I get the sticky out of his fur without shaving him?
Sticky and Concerned
Looks like he had a little too much fun down at the lake. Don’t worry you don’t have to shave your poor pup bald. The easiest way to get the stick out is to use either peanut butter or cooking oil.
Get to the sap as soon as you can. Once it is hardened it will be more uncomfortable for your dog, and it may even adhere to their skin which can be quite painful.
- Use your hair dryer on the sap. The heat from the hair dryer will soften up the sap and allow for a much easier and less painful removal. Be careful not to burn your dog with the air from the dryer. You can use your fingers to check the temperature of the hair dryer air and to check how soft the sap is.
- Rub peanut butter or oil all over the sap. Apply liberally. This is not the time to be stingy. The oils will help the sap to keep from sticking to the fur and skin. They will also cause the sap to start breaking down, which will make it easier to remove. Make sure to let the oil or peanut butter sit for about 15 minutes to give it a good amount of time to soak in and do its work. The longer you let it set to do its work, the less work you have to do.
- Run a comb through your dogs fur. Start at the tips and work the sap out. If you start as the base of their fur, you will be more likely to rip out their fur rather than comb out the sap. Starting as the tip of their hair will work the sap our more easily. ..and even if your dog has short fur, you can still work it through with a comb.
- Add more oil or peanut butter as needed until you can comb out all the sap.
- Once all the sap is removed, give your dog a bath! He is likely covered in oil or peanut butter and if you leave it on him he may just lick it all off and make himself sick.
The good thing about applying a lot of oil or peanut butter to your dogs coat is that it is very good for the fur. His coat will likely be nicely conditioned after everything is said and done.
If you have a question for Ask Vet-Co, email us!