Happy Easter!

Happy Easter from all of us at Vet-co Albuquerque and Vet-Co Los Lunas!

Happy Easter from Vetco Los Lunas

Keep Your Pets Safe from the Easter Bunny

Easter CatEaster may be a fun holiday for your family, but for your dog or cat it could be a death trap! Ok, maybe not quite that dire. But there are dangers you should be aware of to make sure you spend your holiday looking for eggs and not in the vets office.

Easter Lilies are beautiful but they are deadly to your cat. They can not only make your cat sick but they can actually cause kidney failure, and it can happen quickly! Make sure you read our blog on the full dangers of Easter Lilies!

Easter Grass may be pretty in the egg basket but can cause serious problems for your cat. Cats love to chew on grass, both real and fake. The problem with Easter Grass is it can get tangled in your cats intestines if they eat it. Because it is plastic, they won’t be able to break it down. If you notice your cat straining to throw up or poop, or you see grass hanging out of their mouth (ie. the grass is going down their throat) or hanging out of their bum, don’t try to pull it out. That could make it worse. Call the vet and seek treatment.

Easter is full of chocolate! Which is great for keeping the kids on a sugar high but not good for your dog. Chocolate is poison to your dog, it can make them very sick and can even be deadly if eaten in enough quantity. If you dog has eaten chocolate and you see him trembling, vomiting or having diarrea make sure to call your vet.

If you are worried that your dog will get jealous of your chocolate, give him some Carob instead. It is a great chocolate substitute and is healthy for him!

So have a happy and safe Easter!

Easter Lilies: Pretty but Deadly

Easter Lily Poison to CatsEaster Lilies are beautiful but they are also deadly….to your cat! The biggest danger of Easter Lilies is kidney failure. This can happen much easier than you may think. The plants are highly toxic to your cat and even ingesting a small amount can cause some sever physical reactions. In fact, your cat doesnt even have to eat the plant. Sometimes drinking the water from the vase or pollen exposure is enough to cause a sever reaction.

Symptoms of Lilly Poisoning include:

  • Vomiting
  • Anorexia
  • Drooling
  • Hiding
  • Lethargy (slowness, laziness, tiredness)
  • Halitosis (extreme bad breath)
  • Kidney failure
  • Excessive or decreased thirst and urination
  • Dehydration
  • Painful abdomen

Not all lilies are deadly. Non-deadly Lilies include:

  • Peace
  • Peruvian
  • Calla

These will only cause mild reactions which include:

  • Drooling
  • Pawing at the mouth
  • Foaming
  • Vomiting
  • and rarely, difficulty in breathing

Most of the issues from non-deadly lillies are caused by tissue irritation in the mouth, thongue, pharynx and esophagus. If you cat has eaten a non-deadly lilly and is showing symptoms, offer them milk or chicken broth. This will help flush out their mouth and throat and should remove the irritant.

Take Action

If your cat has eaten any part of your Easter Lily call your vet or poison control immediately. Treatment may include inducing vomiting, IV fluids, kidney function monitoring tests, blood pressure monitoring, urine output monitoring and supportive care.

Please be hasty! The sooner you bring your cat in after ingestion the better. if you are not sure if you need to then call your vet or poison control and they will be able to advise you.