Happy Earth Day! Lets celebrate by going green with our pets! Here are some fun and easy ways to go green this year.
8 Tips to Go Green with your Pet
- Spring Cleaning! It is time to clean out your closets and storage, but before you throw out every old towel or blanket call you local shelter to see if they need them. Shelters often need old towels, blankets, leashes, collars, litter boxes, bedding and pet toys. So just because your pooch is bored with an old tug doesn’t mean that another puppy wouldn’t love to have it!
- Water: We all know that water is a commodity and that sometimes tap water doesn’t taste that great. But you can cut back on your waste by not giving your dog or cat bottled water and give them filtered water instead. There are great tap water filters or water filtering pitchers you can buy. Not only will this save you money in the long run, but you will also reduce your waste.
- Oh Poop! Yes you can even go green with poop and we don’t mean by feeding your dog more broccoli. When you are out and about with your pup try using biodegradable dog bags instead of the plastic grocery store bags. If you have a yard, you may want to look into doggie septic systems. You may even be able to to turn that poop into fertilizer! If you have a cat you can trade your clay cat litter for eco-friendly litter instead.
- Soap:Try using earth friendly pet shampoo. Not only is earth friendly pet shampoo better for you pet because it doesnt have chemicals and toxins in it but it is better for the environment for those same reasons. Earth friendly shampoos break down in our water system, so they are easy on the water table, on the aquifer and in our septics. …and they smell nice!
- Clean with vinegar: As pet owners we know that our fur babies can sometimes be a bit messy. Hairball on the carpet? Drool? An accident? That time your dog had the trots? We all have things happen that can make our carpet a little less than perfect. But instead of reaching for bleach or a chemical stain remover, try using vinegar! It will remove the odor and kill mold and bacteria. Here are some vinegar cleaning recipes for you to try.
- Walk your dog to the dog park instead of driving there. The weather is beautiful, get a little extra exercise and walk to the park.
- Towel dry your dog after his bath. The blow dryer might be fun and fast but a towel will work great to dry off your dog and then you can let him air dry for the finishing touches.
- Use rags instead of paper towels. Paper towels just go into the landfill, not to mention the tree’s used to make them and the chemical (like bleach) used in their manufacturing. Try using an old rag to clean up a mess instead of reaching for the paper towels.
Pet Stores Albuquerque, NM Verified Business
The recent tragedy at the Boston Marathon can not be overstated. Our support and prayers go out to all the victims of the Boston Marathon bombing. As most of us know, animals are a great support to people when we are in emotional (and physical) need. Charities are deploying comfort dogs to the victims of the Boston Bombing. The Lutheran Church Charities K-9 Comfort dogs are becoming known as “furry counselors” and are providing emotional support to the victims and their families.
Tim Hetzner, president of Lutheran Church Charities, said, “It’s a chance to help bring some relief to people that are shaken up because of the bombings.”
These same dogs helped the Newton victims on December 17th, during Hurricane Sandy and the Joplin, MO tornado.
These wonderful Golden Retrievers are making the rounds to the local hospitals, spending times with the victims to help them through this tragedy.
Click to donate to the LCC K-9 Comfort Dogs
Its spring time and your dog or cat is more susceptible to heartworms! Why? Because as April showers are bringing May flowers, there is more standing water. Whether it is because of rain, sprinklers, watering the garden or filling the water features in your yard, standing water means mosquitos and mosquitos are carriers of heartworm.
Did you know that your pet may have heartworm and not show any symptoms? They can be a carrier and you will never know until they are very sick. This is, even more, reason to make sure your pet gets regular heartworm tests.
In getting ready for spring make sure to add Fido and FiFi to the Honey-Do list and bring them into Vet-Co Menaul or Vet-Co Los Lunas for their heartworm test. In fact, we think it is so important that we are offering a great discount!
Print out this coupon and bring it to to get $7 off heartworm tests. We can also help you get Heartgard Heartworm preventative treatment.