Puppy Love: Valentines Day with Pets

valentines day pet safety
valentines day pet safety

Spend time with the ones you love and not with your vet. Valentines Day can be so romantic and wonderful. Take your pet for a walk, have a nice dinner together, but keep an eye out for some Valentines Day dangers. They may be romantic to you but could be deadly for your pup.

Bouquets of Flowers

When you bought that bouquet of flowers did you think that the dog or cat might try to eat it? Cats and dogs love to chew on greenery. If you bought a beautiful bouquet, make sure to put the flowers someplace that their pet cannot get to, but to be on the safe side it is a good idea to remove any dangerous flowers and plants from the bouquet. If you are getting it from a florist, ask them to only put pet safe flowers in the bouquet. That way if they do chew on your bouquet, it won’t be toxic. The ASPCA has a great list of poisonous plants you can

Oh Chocolate!

If you have pets you are likely very familiar with the fact that chocolate can be life-threatening to them. Chocolate can cause:

  • vomiting
  • diarrhea
  • hyperactivity
  • seizures
  • elevated heart rate.

    If you receive chocolate, eat as much as you want, but don’t share with your furry friend and make sure to keep it in a place they cannot get it.

What a nice vintage…

A romantic evening pairs well with a fun and frilly cocktail or nice glass of wine. As good as it tastes to us, it also tastes good to your pets. The problem is that they are much smaller than we humans are and the alcohol affects them much faster. It can cause all the symptoms we get from getting drunk, including difficulty breathing, metabolic disturbances, central nervous system depression, and coma. Keep your alcohol away from your pet, don’t share no matter how much they beg, and if you spill any make sure to clean it up right away and don’t have your dog clean it up for you.

Xylitol and why it should be Xylidon’t

Xylitol is a sweetener that is in many candies and gum, especially ones that are supposed to be low sugar. This sweetener can cause sudden hypoglycemia, depression, and seizures in your pet if eaten. Not to mention that the candies it is in can cause other digestive issues like:

  • stomach upset
  • diarrhea
  • vomiting
  • intestinal blockages.

So keep your “Be Mine” candies, and all others, to yourself and your beloved.

Happy Valentines Day!

Holiday Updates

The holidays are coming quickly upon us. To give our staff time to spend with their family our clinic will be closed on December 24th, 25th and 26th, as well as December 31st and January 1st. If you have any questions about our holiday hours, please give our Albuquerque veterinary clinic a call.

Be safe and have a wonderful holiday!

All I Want For Christmas is Pet Safety

Safe for Christmas: Holiday Pet Safety

There is so much activity and amazing things going on over the holidays, it is easy to overlook some things that may be putting your pets in danger. Have a safe holiday by following these great holiday pet safety tips.

If your cat or dog eats anything and becomes lethargic, has excessive diarrhea or vomiting, you should call your vet immediately.

Don’t Forget the Food

Chocolate

Chocolate is never ok for your pets, never.

Chocolate is bad for cats and dogs. It can cause illness and even death. Keep your chocolate out of reach of your pets, like in a cabinet. Sometime counter tops are not out of reach enough, especially if you have cats that like to get on tables or counter tops. Another good idea is to explain to your kids why chocolate is bad for you pets so they don’t sneak them any sweet treats. Just because they are bad for your pets doesn’t mean that they wont beg for it, so stay strong and keep the chocolate for the humans.

Table Scraps

A lot of us feed our pets table scraps throughout the year, so you might ask why you can’t give them table scraps now. But Christmas table scraps are different from normal food because of the different ingredients in the holiday feast. Many of the spices used in traditional holiday food is toxic for your pet and can cause some pretty serious reactions, onions and Turkey bones not being the only danger.

If you want to give your dog some nice food for the holiday then check out some of our great homemade dog food recipes for a safe way to share in the special feast.

Trim the Tree

Christmas Tree

We all love the big beautiful Christmas tree. However, these trees can be heavy and could hurt your pet if it fell over on top of them. Most people don’t realize that your tree stand is what gives it stability. Make sure that you have a properly fitting stand for the height of your tree and that your tree is secured so it can’t fall over.

Some pets like to eat the tree. Fir trees (Christmas trees) are mildly toxic and can cause mouth and stomach irritation. You may notice your pet vomiting if they have been chewing on your tree.

The tree water is also very tempting, but has the potential to be hazardous. The water may have pesticides, preservatives or fertilizer. It is also common for people to put Asprin in the water which can be dangerous for your pet. Though vets often prescribe Aspirin, it is  given in very low dosage and the content in the water can be higher than the recommended dose.

String and Tinsel

We love to put string, tinsel and ribbon on the tree and your pet loves that you put them on. To them they look like wonderfully sparkly toys to play with and chew on. Swallowing string and tinsel can cause serious gastrointestinal problems, so make sure they are either secured firmly to the tree or out of reach of your furry friend. Also letting your pet tug and pull on the string can cause your tree to fall over and could cause injury to you or your pet.

Christmas Lights

Christmas lights set the mood for the whole season. But do you remember that scene from National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation when the cat bites the string of lights? Well, as funny as the scene in the movie was, in real life it is not so funny. Cover any wire on the ground with a wire cover (tape will work) to keep exposed wire covered so your dog or cat cannot chew on it.

Watch the Plants

Mistletoe and Holly are the most toxic of the holiday plants. Mistletoe will cause gastrointestinal upset and in bad cases can cause death, though this is rare. Holly will have more serious effects, though the berries are the most toxic part and most places remove the real berries and replace them with plastic berries.  Poinsettias are not actually toxic for your pets. So feel free to decorate with this pretty festive plant.

Now you know the dangers of the season, go and have a safe and wonderful holiday with your family on  four legs as well as two. If you have any questions about your pets holiday safety, please call Vetco and we can answer your questions.