In the hot summer, a nice cool treat for your dog is a very refreshing reward. This is a simple and easy to make recipe that your dog will love and cool him down.
4 cups plain yogurt
2 tablespoons peanut butter (if you need to, try melting it for 30 seconds in the microwave)
3 bananas, ripe, peeled & mashed
Makes 8 1 oz treats
Blend all ingredients together into a puree using a food processor, magic bullet/ninja, or blender.
Pour into ice trays, popsicle tray, or small paper cups.
Freeze until firm.
These can be kept in freezer for up to two weeks.
A great healthy dog food recipe is Turkey, rice and vegetables. It’s making me hungry just thinking about it! This is a great recipe for a doggie on a diet. It uses lean animal proteins, with healthy carbs and vegetables to keep your pup healthy and trim. This recipe makes about 12 cups of food.
Before making any homemade dog food, please refer to our homemade dog food nutrition guide.
- 1 lb of ground turkey (preferably organic)
- 2 cups of rice (preferably brown)
- 1 tsp of dried rosemary
- 1/2 package of frozen broccoli, carrots and cauliflower. If you prefer fresh, then chop and precook the broccoli, carrots and cauliflower until they are cooked but still firm (about 4 minutes). Cook enough for about 2 cups worth of mixed vegetables.
- Add 6 cups of water, ground turkey, rice and the rosemary into a large cooking pot or dutch oven.
- Stir until the turkey is broken up and the ingredients are evenly mixed.
- Bring to a boil and reduce to low heat.
- Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the frozen (or fresh mixed) vegetables. Cook for 5 more minutes.
- Remove from heat and cool.
Serve cool. This recipe can be refrigerated for up to 5 days. It can also be frozen.
Everyone loves stew in the winter, including your dog! Here is another recipe for homemade dog food, which can be a good alternative to canned dog food. This is an easy recipe and makes about 4 cups of dog food.
Please read our post and nutrition guide about cooking for your pet before you start making any homemade dog food recipe.
- 1 lb of beef stew meat
- 1 small sweet potato
- 1/2 cup of carrots, diced
- 1/2 cup of green beans, diced
- 1/2 cup of flour
- 1/2 cup of water or organic vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil for frying
You do not need to peel your carrots or potatoes unless you want to. The skins are good for you dog. I would recommend trimming the ends of your green beans if your are using fresh. The stems don’t cook very well.
- Dice the sweet potato. Boil the sweet potato for about 2-4 minutes. You want it to be firm but tender.
- Chop the stew meat so the pieces are about the size of a nickel.
- Heat 1 tbsp of vegetable oil in a pan. Add the stew meat and cook for 10-15 minutes until fully cooked (well-done). Save the drippings.
- Put your meat drippings over medium heat. Add the flour and water to the meat drippings to create a thick gravy.
- Add the rest of your ingredients to the gravy pan and stir to coat all the ingredients.
- Cook until your carrots are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Serve cool
You can store this in the fridge for up to 5 days. You can also freeze this recipe.
Always check with your Albuquerque veterinarian about your pet’s dietary needs before making your own dog food.