Quality pet care at affordable prices
Call Vetco: 505-292-3030

Hidden Toxins in Your Garage

poisonous albuquerqueDid you skip out on your spring cleaning and now fall is coming up and you are feeling inspired to be out with the old? The fall is a great time to go through the garage or shed and get rid of the chemicals we bought for our garden but never used. You will need to get new ones in the spring anyway, might as well make room now. But as you are cleaning out your stores you should be aware that many of the chemicals are toxic to your pet. So as you are cleaning be careful to keep your pet away from them. Also make sure to store them in a place where you pet cannot access them and dispose of them somewhere your pet cannot get into.

Chemicals to Watch Out For:

  1. Antifreeze (Ethylene Glycol)- this goes in your car. It has a sweet smell that animals like to drink. However, it will cause kidney toxicity and will kill your pet very quickly. If your pet ingests even a little bit of antifreeze they need to get treatment within 3 to 6 hours and may require staying at the vet for a few days.
  2. Brake Fluid (Diethylene Glycol)- similar to antifreeze, though not quite as bad. It will also cause kidney toxicity and acute kidney failure if enough is ingested.
  3. Windshield Washer Fluid (Methanol)- Though it might not smell sweet to us, it does to our pets. Ingesting this will cause central nervous system issues such as lethargy, ataxia, and depression, also hypoglycemia, vomiting, abdominal pain, disorientation, tremors, seizures, and difficulty breathing.
  4. Petroleum Distillates- these include paint thinner, mineral spirits, kerosene, gasoline, propane, butane, motor oil, lubricants, some paints, and citronella torch fluid. These can be irritating to the skin causing inflammation and ulceration. The biggest risk is for aspiration pneumonia. Symptoms include coughing, wheezing, chest congestion, and difficulty breathing. NEVER induce vomiting. Call pet poison control immediately.
  5. Glues- These can cause mild stomach upset when ingested and skin irritation.
  6. Rodenticides/Insecticides- Some rat and mouse poison can cause internal bleeding, seizures and kidney toxicity. Though most insecticides are typically safe some can cause life threatening issues.
  7. Granular Lawn Products- If ingested in small quantities they can cause mild stomach upset, but if in large quantities your dog can develop tremors and trouble walking.
  8. Fertilizers – these will cause mild stomach upset and can lead to foreign body obstruction in the intestines. If iron is an ingredient then there is a risk of heavy metal toxicity.

If your pet has ingested a chemical you should call your local Albuquerque Vetco vet right away or the pet poison control hotline 855-764-7661

 

 

 

Hours

Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Saturday
Sunday
Daily Shot Clinic:
2:30 - 5:30 pm
2:30 - 5:30 pm
2:30 - 5:30 pm
2:30 - 5:30 pm
2:30 - 5:30 pm
1:00 - 4:00 pm
Closed

Shot Clinic Hours

Google Map

Address

8200 Menaul Blvd NE #R Albuquerque, NM 87110 Phone: (505) 292-3030

Veterinarian Clinic Website: www.vetconm.com

Disclaimer

The information provided on this website is written by Vetco staff. All information is meant to be informational and is not meant as veterinary advice. If you have a health question regarding your pet, their treatment or anything concerning their veterinary care, please call Vetco to consult with a veterinarian.