Quality pet care at affordable prices
Call Vetco: 505-292-3030

Archive for the tips Category

Tips to Keep Your Pet Safe on Halloween

Pet HalloweenIts everyones favorite holiday! Happy Halloween! Time to dress up as something spooky and go trick-or-treating! But during all the festivities, make sure that you are having fun with your pet and keeping them safe.

Here are some tips to keep your pet safe on Halloween

  1. No treats for you pooch – well chocolate treats. Candies and chocolate can be very dangerous for your dog. So if you want to give treats to the dogs trick or treating at your door, get some dog treats and keep the kid treats for the kids.
  2. Pumpkins are non-toxic but if your dog attacks your jack-o-lantern and eats it, his stomach might be upset.
  3. Jack-O-Lantern’s usually have candles in them. In all the excitement, keep your pumpkin out of reach of your dog so he doesn’t knock it over and start a fire.
  4. Costumes! If your dog likes to dress up then have a blast with matching costumes. Otherwise, let your dog go naked. Often times costumes can cause a lot of anxiety for your pup. Better to leave them naked and happy.However, if you do put them in a costume, make sure it is one that is safe for animals.
  5. ID your dog! There is a lot of neighborhood activity on Halloween and that can get dogs really excited. With all the kids, cars and costumes, it can be easy for your excited pup to get disoriented. Make sure they have on their dog tags, so if they get out and get lost, they can be returned home quickly.

If you think your pet ate something toxic, call the ASPCA poison control center at 888-426-4435 and call your vet.

Remember in Albuquerque it can get a little chilly in late October. So make sure you and your dog are wearing warm clothes when  you go out trick-or-treating!

4th of July Safety Tips for your Pets

4th of July DogHappy 4th of July!

We all love to celebrate but make sure that your holiday is a happy one for the whole family. Here are tips to keep your pets safe on the holiday weekend.

  • Keep your pets at home during Fourth of July celebrations. Bringing them to parties at your friends and neighbors can be upsetting with all the activity.
  • Keep your pets inside. If you go out, keep your pets in the house rather than in your yard. He will be a lot happier indoors, and not tempted to leap over a fence to find you.
  • Fireworks are loud and can be frightening to your pet. Keep your pet in a safe room where he can feel comfortable. If he is crate trained put him in his crate covered with a blanket to make him feel secure. You can even block out some of the sound by turning on soothing music or the television.
  • Quell anxiety. If your pet seems overly anxious, spend some time with your pet, speaking soothingly to help them to relax.
  • Avoid scraps from the grill. While tempting to our pets, any sudden change to your pets’ diet can cause stomach upset. If you do give them scraps, make sure not to give them things like  onions, avocado, grapes and raisins can be toxic .
  • Watch for chemicals. Avoid spraying your pet with insect repellent and only use special sunscreen that is intended for animal use. Keep your pets away from matches and lighter fluid. They can be extremely irritating to the stomach, lungs and central nervous system, if ingested. If you dog does ingest lighter fluid, call your vet immediately!
  • Never leave alcoholic drinks unattended where pets can reach them. Alcoholic drinks can poison pets. If ingested, the animal could become very intoxicated and weak, severely depressed or could go into a coma. Death from respiratory failure is also a possibility in severe cases. If your pet drinks an alcoholic beverage, call your vet immediately!
  • Do not put glow jewelry on your pets, or allow them to play with it. The contents of the jewelry is not highly toxic. However, it can cause some serious stomach upset and the if the plastic is consumed it can lead to more serious gastro-intestinal issues.
  • Never use fireworks around pets! While exposure to lit fireworks can potentially result in severe burns and/or trauma to the face and paws of curious pets. Fireworks are very toxic. Keep any fireworks out of the reach of your pets. If your pet eats some fireworks, call your vet immediately.
  • Loud, crowded fireworks displays are no fun for pets, so please resist the urge to take them to Independence Day festivities. Instead, keep your little guys safe from the noise in a quiet, sheltered and escape-proof area at home.

New Years Pet Safety Tips

New Years Pet Safety Tips

holiday-new-years-dog2New Years Eve can be an amazing night! Food, friends, drinks, fireworks, kazoos! But all of these things can be very scary, and sometimes dangerous for your pets.

Make sure that New Years Eve is a good time for your pets as well as you.

If you think that your pet may have gotten ill from eating something they shouldn’t, please call your vet immediately. Signs to watch for are vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, constipation and dehydration.

1. Fireworks: These are very pretty and your city, as well as your neighbors, might be setting them off. Though you might like them, you dog probably doesn’t. They are loud, sudden and can cause a lot of anxiety.  Make sure to give your dog a place to go to get away from the noise. Create a safe spot for them that is dark and quiet. Often times your bedroom is a good place, because it smells like you but is likely removed from the activity.

Did you know that one of the biggest dangers of fireworks is having your pet run away. They hear the noise and get scared. When dogs get scared they try to run away from what is scaring them. If your dog is outside, there is a higher risk of them getting out of the yard to try and escape the loud noise. Make sure you dog is microchipped, in case he does get out.

2. Gun Fire: Living in New Mexico I am sure you have heard all the gun shots going off at midnight. Like fireworks, their loud bang can be very scary for your dog. Give them a safe place to hide out during all the noise.

When a bullet is shot into the air, it has to come down eventually. Though this rarely causes any harm because the bullet has slowed significantly from its firing speed, it can still be a danger to your pet. Best to keep them inside and away from any friendly fire.

3. Food: The holidays are filled with great food and drink! But a lot of this is not good for your dog or cat, and some can even be toxic. Make sure to only give your pet dog or cat treats and keep the scraps on your own plate.

Some human food can just make your pet sick and some of it can actually kill them. It is better to be safe than sorry.

4. Balloons: Balloons, streamers, confetti and plastic hats are all a part of the New Years fun! However, these items are dangerous to your pet if ingested. Your dog or cat may want to play with these things, but a popped balloon, when swallowed, can be an immediate choking hazard. Streamers can get tangled up in your pets gut, when eaten, causing significant gastrointestinal problems.

Have fun and be safe for New Years!

Page 1 of 612345...Last »

Hours

Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Saturday
Sunday
Daily Shot Clinic:
2:30 - 5:30 pm
2:30 - 5:30 pm
2:30 - 5:30 pm
2:30 - 5:30 pm
2:30 - 5:30 pm
1:00 - 4:00 pm
Closed

Shot Clinic Hours

Google Map

Address

8200 Menaul Blvd NE #R Albuquerque, NM 87110 Phone: (505) 292-3030

Veterinarian Clinic Website: www.vetconm.com

Disclaimer

The information provided on this website is written by Vetco staff. All information is meant to be informational and is not meant as veterinary advice. If you have a health question regarding your pet, their treatment or anything concerning their veterinary care, please call Vetco to consult with a veterinarian.